If you or someone you know wears hearing aids, when was the last time they were cleaned? I know that this may seem trivial, but hearing aids that are maintained on a regular basis will allow for optimal performance.
Hearing Aid Cleaning Tips and Tricks
There are steps you can take at home to assure that your hearing aids are working at their best
You may be surprised to discover a clogged filter, cracked tube or wax buildup:
- Daily visual inspection is a must.
- In a pinch, use a soft toothbrush to brush away any build up around the microphone
- The plastic from a price tag can be used to clean out an air vent
- Ask your Audiologist to provide you with tools for cleaning along with sanitizing spray or wipes
- Using alcohol may dry out the hearing aid or ear mold material
Considerations for rechargeable batteries
If your hearing aids require a charger, check that the openings where you insert the hearing aids are free of debris or dirt. Gently use a cotton swab to lift out any particles that are trapped there. If there’s a desiccant that changes color, make sure that it is replaced frequently.
Helpful accessories for hearing aid maintenance
Using a hearing aid dryer or dehumidifier can assist to keep your hearing aids running right. Some units have an ultraviolet light for disinfecting. Custom made products will always benefit from the consistent use of a dryer.
Nothing is better than a professional cleaning
At our practice we schedule regular clean and check appointments just like the dentist does:
- An ear exam followed by a thorough ear cleaning is the first order of business.
- We then vacuum the devices inside and out
- Replace microphone covers, filters, and domes
- Sanitize ear molds and replace tubing
- The hearing aids are placed in a chamber to pull out moisture, oil, and dirt
- A centrifuge may be used to spin out any wax and oil that is trapped
We also take measurements to ensure that the hearing aids are running right and performing properly in the ear is done at periodic intervals.
How to get help
Protect your investment in better hearing and take the time to clean your hearing aids each day. If you haven’t been in for a professional cleaning, schedule that appointment. We want you to always hear your best.