What You Can Do To Help
We are often asked how to communicate with someone who has hearing loss. If there is someone in your life who struggles with their hearing, here is a list of suggestions to make communication easier.
- Choose a well lit place to converse.
- Sit close and directly face the person.
- Turn off any distractions such as the TV or radio.
- Speak slowly and distinctly.
- Avoid covering your mouth with your hands.
- Don’t talk while you are eating.
- Never start conversation from another room.
- Get their attention by calling there name before speaking.
- Be patient.
It’s common sense, we all forget. It just takes a bit of awareness and sensitivity. We all want to be part of the conversation. Let’s make it possible!